Monday, May 27, 2013

Mother's Day: Reflection

I always loved Mother's Day. Mostly, because I love my mom and have a deep respect for moms around the world.  The moms in my life have always been amazing women -women whom I look up to, admire, and in the end, want to emulate.

Take for instance my aunt, my mom's sister. She is the definition of traditional. She's a few years older than my mom, but in a way, her soul is older than her own mom, my grandmother.  I've always considered her my second mom since she helped my mom and dad raise me. She was there to pick me up from preschool, to feed me and bathe me. My aunt nurtured me and listened to me.  She was the kinder, gentler sister.  She is the traditional glue that holds our family together.

Then there's my cousin's wife.  She's the modern working mom I strive to be. She seems to have this balance, this amazing grace that allows her to let all the small stuff roll off her back, meanwhile having this incredible laser beam focus on the precious things in life.  I know as our families grow older and one generation passes, she'll be our matriarch. She'll be the woman we all go to for sage advice and rational thinking. She'll also be the glue that keeps us a family.

Finally, my mom. There aren't enough words in the English language, or any language, that could ever begin to describe my own mother or the love and gratitude I have for her.  My eyes well up just trying to string together a short blurb to describe how I feel about her.  The sacrifices both my parents made will never go unnoticed, but in particular, the sacrifices that my mother made to have me and raise me to become the woman and mother I am today...I can never repay. She was completely and utterly selfless when it came to her love for me. She worked hard to give me a life in a country she knew little about. She came to this country with so little and made so much of it. She taught me how to be a lady, but remain independent and strong.  She taught me to never sacrifice my values.

Now as a mother myself, I understand the true meaning of unconditional love.  Looking at my baby girl is a feeling I will never get tired of.  But even more, I look at her and am reminded of the family I made with my husband.  He's the partner I started this journey with and without him, I'd be lost.  I couldn't be the mother I am without him. So when I look at my baby girl, I see her father and I see endless love that I have for all of them.  This mother's day was a day of reflection and a day of appreciation.  No brunches needed, no fancy meals or trinkets...Just a simple breakfast made with love and an afternoon strolling with my family. I couldn't have asked for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment