Monday, December 17, 2012

A new life...A new love

The day came, and went. Our little girl is finally here. We welcomed our precious little girl, Olivia Anne Patel, on Sunday, December 9, 2012 at 3:28PM.

The days leading up were, needless to say, long and difficult but worth every bit. Contractions started after our date night on Friday, Dec. 7.  After grabbing a burger at a local place, we walked around Downtown Fullerton in hopes we'd start labor. Feeling cold and no progress, we decided to head home and watch a movie in comfort and warmth. Around midnight, I had what I then thought were Braxton Hicks contractions, but headed to bed anyway with a bit of disappointment that nothing had happened on my due date.  Taken by surprise, I woke up in the middle of the night with some pains. I thought for sure this would be it. Waking several times throughout the night, the contractions continued throughout the day on Saturday. We were pretty sure the baby was coming by the end of the night as the contractions got stronger and closer together.  Around 7PM we headed to the hospital as I didn't think I'd be able to take the pain any longer and that we were pretty close to holding our girl.  Checking into the hospital was a breeze. They got me into a room immediately and within mere minutes a nurse checked on my progress to only report there was hardly any progress at all! I was only 1-2 cm dilated when I needed to be 10 cm! I couldn't believe it. How could my contractions hurt this much and not have any progress? The nurse returned to my room quickly advising me that the doctors wanted me to seriously consider getting an epidural. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to really have a "natural" birth.  It wasn't in my plan and I just wasn't prepared to hear the recommendations, so I asked her to come back in an hour.  Before the hour was up, the anesthesiologist was in my room introducing herself. Again, disappointed, I shooed her away. Before I knew it I was buzzing for the nurse to come in because I just couldn't take the pain any longer (total time: 30 minutes).  I was having extremely intense back labor. The abdominal pain was nothing compared to the piercing pain in my back. Within minutes, I had the epidural and was able to get some rest throughout the night. I woke only once for a refill on the epidural and the wait continued through Sunday morning.

In the morning, my legs were numb, I was tired, thirsty and anxious.  I wasn't able to drink or eat anything other than ice chips, but my hunger was non-existent.  It was really my thirst that got to me and the fact that I wasn't able to move.  By the morning, I was onto a new nurse a new doctor on call, and a new anesthesiologist.  I didn't think we were ever going to have this baby. By around 10 or 11 AM the nurse came to check on me again and finally, progress! 10 cm! However, there was absolutely no urge on my part, to push. The nurse was extremely positive stating that we'd have this baby by lunch time. Pushing finally began around noon and continued until after 2:30.  By that time, we could see the head, and the doctor on call simply stated I may have to face the fact that this baby would need to come out via c-section. I was absolutely exhausted. I gave it my all and I couldn't do it anymore. I asked to take a rest. They gave me a little more of the epidural and I was able to catch a nap for a little bit. When I finally woke, the nurse asked me to try again, and by this time, I was completely wiped. I had no more to give and Rajiv said that I spiked a fever of 101. After hearing about my fever, I wanted to sign the papers to do the c-section because I didn't want anything affecting the baby's health. The next thing I knew we were prepped for surgery and minutes later, we were holding our precious Olivia!!

The announcement of a healthy, big, 10 lb 9 oz, 20.5 inch baby girl made me cry! We did it, we brought a new life into the world and there's a new meaning of love in our house now!






No comments:

Post a Comment